Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Why 'Protection' has already had a cover change, and why this first book in a new series may be the last...

The book's been out less than a week, but I've already given it a cover change. So, why is that? Well, to be honest, although I really liked the original cover for 'Protection', my latest foray into the world of MC romance, I was never 100% sure it was going to work. For me. I'd thought I'd wanted something a little different for this new novel, and I hadn't wanted to go down that tried and tested route of sticking a half naked, ripped, tattooed alpha male on the cover. Although, it seems to work for everyone else...

The original cover image.
Anyway, after the release of 'Protection', I couldn't help but keep going back to the other biker series' I've written - The Lone Riders and Soldiers of Darkness

The covers for those books were very uniform, you could tell at a glance what kind of books they were, what genre they fell into, and it was also very easy to tweak the covers for new books in the series. I wasn't sure this was going to be so easy for the Death Knights series. So, after a few days of thinking about it, I came to the decision to change the cover now, while the book is still in the early stages of release. 

And here it is - the brand new cover for 'Protection'...



And it makes sense, in reality, to keep up some kind of theme for the MC books I write, as you can see from them all here, together...


This new cover is much more obvious in terms of knowing exactly what kind of book it is, and when/if new books in the series come along it's going to be very easy to tweak the image and keep the theme. 


But, you may have noticed I used the word if there. Which means I may not be writing any more Death Knights MC books? The answer to that is, I don't know. The reaction to 'Protection', compared to all my other MC books, has been a bit soul-destroying, to be honest. Sales are way, way down compared to the others, there's only been one review so far, and that wasn't even a good one, and almost a week after its release there's still been no reaction. Nothing. Now, it could just be the fact that the publishing world is changing once again, because it is, without a doubt, incredibly hard to get your books out there and noticed as an indie author. Or, it could just be that this book isn't grabbing peoples' attention the way the others did. I don't know. But what I do know is that to spend time writing another book in a series that is failing to win readers over, well... it doesn't make me excited. If readers wanted more, like they did with the Lone Riders and Soldiers of Darkness series', then I would absolutely write that next book. I already have the story outline drafted out and the first few chapters written. But if readers don't want to read it, it's hard for me to get excited about writing something. And I want to be excited about the books I write. 

Now, I'm extremely proud of 'Protection', don't get me wrong. I give a very different take on MC Romance, I don't write your usual MC books, as some readers have already pointed out. I write them my way, but if that way is failing to capture the attention the way my previous series' did, then I think writing another Death Knights book, at this moment in time, may not be the way to go. I wrote 'Protection' as a standalone novel, there are no cliffhangers, the story is tied up by the end of the book. It was always my intention to make all the books in the Death Knights series standalone reads, and now, a week after the book's release, maybe that was the right decision. And maybe I need to go and think about the kind of book that will grab readers' attention. And write it...


'Protection' is available to download now, with its new cover, and its also FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited!

And thank you, once again, to all those faithful readers out there who continue to buy my books, encourage me through the rough times, and keep me going on this crazy writing journey of mine. Without you lot I'd probably be drinking way more vodka than I already do! 😉

Michelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment